Frequently Asked Questions


What is Justice Court?

Justice Court deals with civil cases, misdemeanor criminal cases, and some traffic offenses. For example, landlord/ tenant disputes such as eviction or medical expenses or other collection-related cases.

What is the most I can sue for?

The limit in Justice Court is $3,500. 

How much is the filing fee?

The fee varies based on the county. 

What information is needed to sue a business?

You will need the full business name and the name of their agent of process. 

How can I find the agent of process for a business?

You can ask the business or call the secretary of state at (800) 256-3494. Secretary of State 

What happens if the defendant does not appear on court day?

If the defendant was properly served and fails to appear, the judge can give you a default judgment. 

What happens if the defendant does not pay me?

Ten days after court, you can flag the defendant’s credit or garnish wages. You can check with the civil clerk for details on these processes. 

What happens if the court cannot serve the defendant at the address I provided?

The court will notify you of the problem, and allow you time to get a new address for service. This process may require an additional fee. 

How do I change my court date?

To obtain a continuance contact the justice court where your case is being heard.  

Can my Justice Court recommend an attorney to me?

No. The court cannot recommend or refer you to an attorney 

Do I have to hire an attorney?

No. However, if you choose not to hire an attorney, you will be required to sign a form waiving your right to council. 

How can I find out if there is a warrant for my arrest?

Contact your county sheriff’s office to find out if you have a bench warrant. 

Can I file a criminal case on my own at Justice Court?

Yes. You can file a case only if the incident took place within the county limits. If the incident took place in city limits, you will file in that city court. 

How can I keep a ticket off my driving record?

You can attend Driving School as long as you have no prior tickets in the last three years and the judge approves it. 

What if I disagree with the judge's ruling on my case?

You may file an appeal within 30 days on the judge’s ruling. 

My matter is private and I would like to restrict others from the courtroom. Is this possible?

No, all court proceedings must take place in open court to the public. 

May I call or speak to the judge on my case?

No, this is ex parte communication and is not allowed in the court system. 

What happens if I do not pay my fine or appear for a hearing?

Your driver’s license will be suspended and the judge may issue a warrant for your arrest. 

How should I dress for court?

You should dress as if you’re going to a job interview, and be sure to avoid clothing that looks too casual. You can check out this video (How to Dress for Court) for more information.  

How do I prepare for court?

More information can be found here (Court Prep) for information on how to prepare for court. 

What are some common legal terms?

Common Legal Terms can be found here (Legal Terms). 

Do you have eviction resources?

Yes, we have a series of eviction videos here (Eviction Videos). 

Do you have expungement resources?

Yes, there is an expungement program offered by Mississippi Center for Justice. More information can be found here ( 

Do you have a directory of legal aid providers?

A list of legal aid providers can be found on the website here (MS Legal Service Providers) 

Where can I find Justice Court forms?

Justice Court forms can be found here (Legal Forms).